The most important part of keeping medical courier deliveries safe starts before the delivery vehicle hits the road. Packaging and shipping temperature-controlled specimen is a critical part of being able to get quality test results. Medical facilities across the Richmond, VA area depend on the safe same-day delivery of their specimens. We will go over a few aspects of this process. Like the following:
- The sample classification names and temperatures
- How labs specimens should be packaged
- What couriers should look for before they accept medical samples?
- What coolers and other supplies are needed to keep the right temp?
- How couriers should store specimens in their cars
Medical Courier Temperature Classifications
Specimens are transported under the following temperature classification room temp, refrigerated, and frozen. Each class has a temperature range.
- Room temperature = (15 – 30°C)
- Refrigerated = (2 to 10°C)
- Frozen = (-20°C or colder).
Minimum Medical Delivery Packaging Guidelines
The following are the minimum specimen packaging guidelines that should be followed when packaging specimens.
- Ensure that all specimen container caps and lids are properly tightened to prevent leakage.
- Make sure there is a requisition form in the bag, and that is for the correct lab.
- Collect the specimen(s) and transfer to a proper transport container, double check the specimen container to ensure that the device is not beyond its expiration date
- The transport bag has two pouches. Place the sample container(s) in the front pocket. Place the requisition into the other pocket with the bar code visible so the courier and lab techs can see it.
What couriers should check before accepting specimens
- There is no specimen leakage.
- All specimens are correctly marked and labeled.
- The specimen has the right requisition form
Having the separate medical courier transport coolers
Couriers should have the following coolers to transport specimens correctly. A transport cooler for transporting the sample from the office to the car. They will also need coolers for room temp, refrigerated, and frozen specimens. Having multiple coolers will ensure that specimens stay at the correct temperature. Couriers will also need gel packets for the refrigerated samples and dry ice or transport bottles for frozen specimens.
Specimens should be transported in vehicles in an upright position. During summer months coolers shouldn’t be kept in the trunk. Temperatures increase inside of cars. It is also vital to strap coolers in to prevent movement
At first glance, courier service may not seem relevant in the internet age. After all, we can now send messages with a single tap on our smartphones. Despite this, couriers continue to offer an essential service — but their work looks a bit different than it did in decades and centuries past. Businesses in metropolitan areas like Richmond, VA demand fast, dependable courier delivery services. The following are just a few of the many businesses and sectors that currently rely on courier service:
Complicated civil and criminal cases require constant document delivery, especially during the discovery phase. At this time, numerous critical documents pass between law firms and presiding courts. Large law firms may need to transport evidence between multiple offices. Same day delivery services are important to law firms. A missed deadline could spell disaster for both clients and their attorneys; reliable legal couriers prevent such problems by making prompt deliveries. Law firms use courier services on the regular basis.
Clinics and Hospitals
Courier services are necessary as ever in the medical field. From X-rays to lab results, health care professionals may require delivery within a few hours. Medical facilities require STAT and Super STAT delivery times. Professional medical couriers can quickly deliver a variety of much-needed medical supplies and equipment — or even organ transplants.
In life or death situations, every second is critical. Medical delivery companies provide the reliable, same day service needed to keep at-risk patients safe. They are trained to abide by all aspects of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA); patient privacy and security are of utmost importance.
Wholesale Drug Distributors
In addition to serving hospitals, clinics, and laboratories, medical couriers assist wholesale drug distributors with sensitive deliveries. Skilled couriers are trained to abide by distributors’ complex supply chain guidelines. Advanced tracking systems ensure accuracy for all pharmaceutical courier deliveries.
While courier services are important at all levels of academia, they’re most critical at colleges and universities. Prospective students may use couriers to meet strict application deadlines. Students or alumni often require transcripts at a moment’s notice. Couriers can also assist with handling sensitive financial documents as students pay tuition or apply for aid.
Last-minute orders may force printing companies to move products on minimal notice. Courier services help printers manage several complicated routes to ensure full customer satisfaction. The promise of courier delivery can prove a useful marketing tool for printing companies dealing with demanding customers.
Real Estate Professionals
In today’s hot real estate market, a few hours can make a huge difference for current and prospective homeowners. The most successful real estate agents and brokers send and receive essential documents (such as offers and purchase agreements) in record time. Likewise, quick transfer of sensitive documents must occur for mortgage providers and title companies. All rely on couriers to keep the buying and selling process moving.
When tax season arrives, procrastinators find themselves scrambling for essential forms. Reliable couriers help clients obtain and send W-2s, 1099s, and other forms in record time. Prompt document transfer is also critical in the event of a tax audit. Many accounting firms rely on courier services as they help clients deal with the IRS. Many accounting firms use routed deliveries.
Couriers provide safe and secure transport for business-related documents or items that cannot be sent online or through traditional postal services. From medicine to real estate, their efforts change lives.
Managing time effectively is essential for delivery companies like ours. If you are reading this article on time management, you probably have read many other articles on the same subject like one of our clients in Richmond, VA. Most of those articles will have suggested something like this:
- Set goals for the day
- Prioritize those goals
- Make a schedule that will get those goals done
Sounds simple, right? But if it was really that simple, there would not be the abundance of articles on time management and you would not be looking for time management tips. What is missing from this simplistic approach is the investment you need to make on customizing your approach to getting things done.
Look At What You Have Already Tried
The busy doctor faces different challenges than the busy retail store manager but they both have the same amount of time at their disposal. The busy entrepreneur and the busy franchise owner have the same number of hours in their day, too, but their day looks different. To figure out what will help you manage your time wisely, start with what you have already tried. Most time management failures fall into these categories:
- Unrealistic expectations — A schedule may be unrealistic because it fails to account for the realities of your life. You might need to include travel time so you don’t book a meeting when you will be unavailable. Most people need some downtime in their day so they can regroup for the next undertaking or process information. Being realistic is like being a repair technician — in order to fix it, you have to see what is actually wrong.
- Poor use of tools — What kinds of productivity tools are already available to you? Many businesses are using software platforms that include scheduling and collaborative components. If your responsibilities involve co-workers, these components are designed to be useful. Are you using them or have you put off learning how to do it? Your phone can be another underutilized tool. Research productivity apps for your smartphone and see what is out there.
- Using the wrong tool for you — Many people do better with a bullet journal or paper planner than they do with an app. Others combine the two by using notifications and timers but taking notes by hand in meetings. The wide variety of time management tools spring from the fact that people vary in what will work for them. Things change over time so what worked before may not work today. Be open to experimenting with new tools occasionally.
Recognize the Power of Habit
Habit is a powerful thing because it is automatic. If you habitually check social media before you start a disliked task, you have what some would call a time management problem right there. But the problem is actually your habit. Changing a habit is not as simple as reading about it because it is a choice you need to make every time you realize you are doing your unwanted habit again.
- Identify the habits that are sabotaging your day. This could be procrastination or worry or something else.
- Set up a reminder that addresses your unwanted habit. Set a timer for social media or tell yourself you will work on task A for 25 minutes. List the things that worry you and decide one thing that can be resolved by action on your part. Most worries are beyond our control but acting on what you can do will move you past the roadblock.
- Decide on one change in your time management approach and use that change for 30 days to establish a new habit.
Failing to see what you already have available and ignoring the power of habit will derail your time management strategy.
If need help with time management, you may want to get time management training. Visit this site.
The medical courier company that you use is the face of your business to the people who get your deliveries. This service is a vital link between you and your clients. We recently had one of our customers in Richmond, VA comment about the professionalism of our couriers. If your current medical courier company is lacking in these areas; you need to find a new one like ours. Here are seven ways to know that you need to find a new courier for your medical deliveries.
1. The company takes a long time to make deliveries?
Medical materials often are needed immediately. If your courier cannot deliver quickly when it is necessary, lives are impacted. Medical courier delivery has to be 24/7 every day of the year and offer several options for speed so that in an emergency the delivery is STAT.
2. The drivers are not trained to be HIPAA compliant
You have to follow HIPAA compliance guidelines so your medical courier delivery service MUST follow those same guidelines, too. Everyone handling the material must be HIPAA trained so that medical information stays confidential and medical materials are transported according to their specific requirements.
3. Can you track your packages in real-time?
Couriers carry vital materials and information. You should be able to monitor every step of your shipment in real time no matter what time it is and be confident the delivery arrived on time.
4. Do the drivers look and act professionally?
Profession delivery people look sharp and act in a manner that is appropriate for business. Professionals know what they are doing, why they are doing it, and inspire confidence that they are doing it right. Professional medical courier companies set stands for professionalism that extend through their organization. From setting up the delivery through making the delivery and receiving an accurate invoice, you need to be confident the company is doing the job to your standards.
5. Is the courier company able to meet your standards?
Medical courier companies handle vital deliveries that must meet specific standards. Look for background checks, HIPAA certification, Blood Borne pathogen Certification and drug testing in all who will handle material that requires it. Look for the right equipment to handle specimens at the proper temperature. You know what needs to be done so look for a courier who can do it that way. If safety attire is required, for instance, it should be worn.
6. Is the courier company able to deliver within your targeted region?
Are you finding that you need deliveries to areas that your current courier cannot support? Does this result in you hiring another courier company at higher rates? This is a common problem and a clear sign that you need to change couriers. Choosing a courier that can handle all of your needs is essential.
7. Is the courier company comprehensive enough for your future?
The medical services community is broad, and it changes rapidly as technology and research advance. Deliveries to a patient’s home are not the same as deliveries to a laboratory, but you may need both services. Medical courier services must have a variety of vehicles and equipment to meet the standards of the deliveries they make. If you are planning any expansions in the future, make sure your medical courier company can keep up with your growth.
If your medical courier company is not able to meet these standards, it is probably time to explore your options. Finding a medical courier company that can do the job the way you need is important.
If you’re in need of a courier, don’t just stop and book the first option that pops up. You need to put a bit of research into the courier delivery service company that you hire. After all, you’re sending valuable documentation, packages, and other content. You need to know it will not only be well taken care of during transit but reach the set destination on time. Picking the right company for same day delivery service can be especially daunting in growing urban areas like Richmond, VA. Before you move forward with hiring a courier delivery service, here are some things to look for in a courier delivery service.
Do they offer courier services in your area
One of the very first things to know is the courier delivery company’s service area. It doesn’t do you any good if they are either unable to come to your place of business or deliver it out to where you need it to go. Before taking any steps beyond this, make sure you know the delivery service area.
When Will Your Package Go Out
Chances are if you’re using a courier delivery service and not a big box delivery company (or the post office) you need your package delivered right away. Find out when your delivery will go out. Some courier services might pick up your box and carry it immediately while others might hold onto it and make other deliveries first. You may also need to pay extra fees for faster action. These are a few crucial questions things to keep in mind when setting up a courier delivery service.
When you want your package delivered immediately, there isn’t much use for tracking. After all, if you have the time to watch your delivery go across town, you probably could have just done it yourself. You’re a busy individual and need this taken care of by a professional service. So instead of looking for tracking, consider services with:
- Email notifications
- Text notifications
- Phone calls upon delivery
Do they have any specialized services?
Often, different courier delivery services specialize in various functions. Some of the different kinds of delivery specialty services you should look for and consider what best fits your business needs include:
- Same day delivery
- Organic delivery (plants)
- Large and heavy package delivery
- Refrigerated item delivery
Professional Appearance of Drivers
Often the courier is the face of your company. This individual takes a package and delivers it to a client or business partner. Due to this, you need someone who can represent your business, even if they are not a direct part of it (avoid couriers who do not dress in a way that best fits your company). So when looking for the right courier delivery service, make sure they maintain a professional appearance.
Other Areas to Consider
When comparing different courier delivery services together, there are a handful of significant bullet points to consider. You may still find one is better than another, but a few additional points of interest to keep in mind include:
- Insurance coverage (the level of coverage offered and whether you have to pay extra for it)
- The form of transportation (does the company use large trucks or are couriers on bicycles)
- Are their drivers trained to be safe drivers?
- What kind of awards has the company won in the past
- What is the BBB rating of the company
- What kind of guarantees does the courier service offer?
Whether you’re looking to make a same-day delivery in town or you need necessary documentation sent to a business partner, and you don’t have the opportunity to do it yourself, courier delivery services can help. However, don’t just hire the first name that pops up on a search engine. Put in your research and look for quality, expert couriers who know how to get the job done right. At Delivers Done Right, that’s what you’ll find. So if you’re in need of professional, expert courier delivery services or you have questions on the kind of services offered by DDR, now is the perfect time to pick up your phone and give the DDR a call!